The Malco ER3 3-Station Edge Roller assures a uniform bend along the entire length of the material. Quickly adjusts for making 5/8 to 4 (15.9-102 mm) bends in 29-22 gauge (0.36-0.76 mm) steel. The center roller station of the ER3 Edge Roller features a precision English/Metric depth gauge on one shaft leg that, when locked in place at desired setting, accurately aligns the depth of all roller stations. Large, comfortable adjustment knobs hold depth setting securely.
Also adjusts for making curved bends! The center roller station of the ER3 is also independently adjustable, with outer roller stations retracted and locked, to allow for bending on a curve.
- For clean, crisp bends in metal roofing materials!
- Quickly adjusts for making 5/8″ to 4″ (16 to 102 mm) bends in 29 to 22-gauge (0.36 to 0.76 mm) steel.
- Exclusive 3-statiion roller design produces a uniform bend out to the very ends of a straight panel length.
- Center roller roller station is also independently adjustable for making mild-angled bends on a curve.
- Hardened rollers assure long, service life.
What gauge material will it bend?
The ER3 rated capacity is 22 to 29 gauges this equates to .030 – .014 thick, please refer to what materials does that translate to question.
What materials does that translate to?
The gauge is a measure of the thickness of the metal, metal thickness increases as the gauge numbers decrease.
- 29 gauge is .014″ residential roofing
- 28 gauge is .016″ residential roofing
- 26 gauge is .018″ standing seam roofing
- 24 gauge is .025″ standing seam roofing
- 22 gauge is .030″ commercial roofing
- 24 gauge is .019 – coil stock material, commonly used for trim and flashing
- 22 gauge is .024 – mid grade coil stock, commonly used for trim and flashing
- 20 gauge is .032 – better grade, commonly used for trim and flashing
- 18 gauge is .040 – architectural sheet metal work.
- 26 gauge is .016 – commonly used for backsplashes, range hoods as well as roofing
- 24 gauge is .022 – 16 ounce copper sheeting is often referred to as “roofing copper” or “roofing flashing.”
Is there a special technique?
The trick to making a nice straight bend with the ER3 is to start with a straight cut edge on the material you will be bending. Because the ER3 tracks along the edge of the material to be bent it is important to have a straight cut. The technique that works the best to prevent rippling of the material is to not to bend the material up to quickly. It is better to put light pressure on the tool and make multiple passes bending the material up about 10-20 degrees on each pass. For a bend to 90 degrees you should plan to run the tool back and forth at least 5 times.
Explain the type of bend that is achievable?
The ER3 is capable of bending straight bends of an infinite length up to 90 degrees. It is also capable of bending a 90 degree leg on a curve with radius of 17 feet or larger. It will work on tighter curves if it is not necessary to bend to a full 90 degrees, attempting to bend to a full 90 degrees on a tight curve will result in ripples on the bent up material.
Why would you need to adjust the ER3?
The bending depth of the ER3 can be adjusted from 5/8 to 4 (15.9-102 mm) deep depending on the individual application.? For example, this gives the tool the ability of making deeper bends for custom flashings and then adjusting the tool for shallower bends on trim stock.
How do I adjustment the ER3?
- Loosen the three wing screws on the top of the tool.
- Adjust the center roller using the depth indicator marks on the top rod and lining up the desired depth with the back of the aluminum plate.? Tighten the center wing screw.
- Slide the tool together until the center set of rollers seat themselves into the holes into the base of the handle frame.
Do the ER3 rollers ever need to be replaced?
No, the rollers do not need to be replaced, they will last the life of the tool.
Can the rollers for the ER3 be replaced?
No, the rollers are not a replaceable item.
Will the ER3 scratch the metal roof?
To ensure scratch free performance, make sure that there is not any foreign material on any of the rollers or surfaces that will come in contact with the metal roofing.
All Rolling Edge Bending tools we offer:
- Pocket Bender
- Perfect Bender S-60
- Perfect Bender S-100
- Perfect Bender S-150
- Perfect Bender L-250
- Perfect Bender L-350
- Perfect Bender XL-60
- Perfect Bender XL-100
- Perfect Bender XL-150
- Perfect Bender XL-250
- Perfect Bender XL-350
- Perfect Bender DXL-250
- Perfect Bender DXL-350
- Disc Bender S-Model (New Design)
- Disc Bender S Double
- Disc Bender L
- Disc Bender L Double
- Radius Roller 25 91630000
- Radius Roller 50 91631000
- Standard Single Edge Bender 91602000
- Premium Single Edge Bender 91600000
- Premium Single Edge Bender 91603000
- Maxi Single Edge Bender 91604000
- Standard Double Edge Bender 91620000
- Premium Double Edge Bender 91601000
- Maxi Double Edge Bender 91604100
- Double Disk Edge Bender 91610000
- Single Disc Bender 91611000
- Disc Roller S-Model 91612000
- S-150 Perfect Bender 91640000
- XL-150 Double Edge Bender 91650000